- Carolyn McAllister, Ph.D., MSW
- Associate Professor
- BASW Program Director
- Ph.D. - Social Work, Michigan State University
- Phone: (909)537-5559
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. McAllister is the Director of the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) program at CSUSB.
Carolyn McAllister received her BA in Psychology at U.C. Davis in 1996 and her MSW from UCLA in 1999. Her professional experiences include work in the areas of crisis and long-term mental health services, practice with individuals with developmental disabilities and their families, and social work in health settings. Her research interests focus in the areas access to and acquisition of education (high school and beyond) for high risk populations and for populations without access to traditional, face-to-face classrooms. Her dissertation focused on the factors influencing individuals with learning disabilities' postsecondary educational attainments. She teaches social work students in the areas of micro practice and research methods, and is interested in the uses of technology in teaching.
Chang, J., McAllister, C.A., & McCaslin, R. (2015). Correlates of and Barriers to Internet Use among Older Adults. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 58(1).
McAllister, C.A. (2013). A process evaluation of an online BSW program: Getting the student perspective. Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 33(4-5), 514-530.
Kobayashi, R. & McAllister, C.A. (2014). Similarities and differences in perspectives on interdisciplinary collaboration among hospice team members. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, published online in advance of print 10/10/14.
McAllister, C.A., Harold, R., Ahmedani, B., & Cramer, E. (2009). Targeted mentoring: Evaluation of a mentoring project. Journal of social work education, 45(1), 89-104.
- Social work practice with individuals with disabilities and their support systems
- Integrating disability content into social work education
- Transition issues for adolescents with disabilities and their families
- Teaching with technology, alternate forms of instruction
Affiliations, Associations, Consultations
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- The Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors, Inc. (BPD)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Awards and Fellowships
- CSUSB College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Outstanding Faculty Service Award (2014)
- Outstanding Originator of Distributed Learning (OODL) award, CSUSB (2010)
- Dissertation Competion Fellowship, Michigan State University (2008)
- University Distinguished Fellowship, Michigan State University (2003-2007)
- Dorothy Edwards Memorial Scholarship, American River College (1991-1993)