- Rosemary McCaslin
- Ph.D. - University of Chicago
- Phone: (909)537-5507
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosemary McCaslin has practiced, taught, and published in the field of gerontological social work for over 35 years. Her work has focused especially on service delivery issues, psychosocial development in adulthood and late life, and education and training of both professionals and paraprofessionals. Her recent interests include LGBT aging and Baby Boomers.
Dr. McCaslin's research and scholarship has included work on conceptual categorization of services for the elderly, predictors of service use by the elderly, ethnic differences in geriatric service utilization, and intergenerational aspects of adult development within families. She is a Fellow in the Social Research, Policy and Practice Section of the Gerontological Society of America and a founding board member of the Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGE-SW). She has won several awards for teaching excellence.
Dr. McCaslin has served on the editorial board of the Journal of Education for Social Work and as a manuscript reviewer for the Journal of Applied Gerontology, The Gerontologist, and the Journal of Gerontological Social Work. She was Director of the CSUSB M.S.W. Program from 1991-1997 and was previously on the faculty of the University of Chicago, the University of Texas at Austin, and the University of California, Berkeley. She has served on a wide variety of agency boards and frequently provides training for agency staff. Currently, she is a member of the San Bernardino County Senior Affairs Commission.
- Gerontological social service models
- Service utilization by the elderly
- Intergenerational aspects of adult development
- Ethnic differences in aging
- Elder abuse and Adult Protective Services
Smith, L. & McCaslin, R. (2011). Enhancing student learning in research and gerontology through partnership with an area agency on aging. Journal of Teaching in Social Work.
Doe, S.S., Han, H.K. & McCaslin, R. (2008). Cultural and ethical issues in Korea's recent elder abuse reporting system. Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, 21 (4).
McCaslin, R. (2008). Increasing geriatric social work content through university/community partnerships. Geriatrics and Gerontology Education, 29 (1).
McCaslin, R. (2004). Middle-age white lady lost in the blues. Reflections, June/July.
McCaslin, R. (1994) Health and mental health policies. In P.C. Kim (ed.), Services to the aging and aged: Public policies and programs. Hawthorne, NY: Aldine de Gruyter.
McCaslin, R. (1994). Employment services. In P.K.H. Kim (ed.), Services to the aging and aged: Public policies and programs . Hawthorne, NY: Aldine de Gruyter.
McCaslin, R. (1992). An intergenerational family congruence model. In P. Cowan, D. Field, D. Hansen, A. Skolnik, & E.G. Swanson (eds.), Family, Self, and Society: Toward a New Agenda for Family Research. Hillsdale, N.J.: L. Erlbaum.
Golant, S.M. & McCaslin, R. (1991). Assessing social welfare programs for the elderly: The specification of functional goals. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 9(1), 4-19.
McCaslin, R. (1989). Service utilization by the elderly: The importance of orientation to the formal system. Journal of Gerontological Social Work. 14(1/2) 153-174.
McCaslin, R. (1988). Reframing research on service use among the elderly: An analysis of recent findings. The Gerontologist. 28(5), 592-599.
McCaslin, R. (1987). Defenses. In G. Maddox (ed.), The Encyclopedia of Aging. New York: Springer.
McCaslin, R. (1983). The older person as a mental health worker . New York: Springer.
McCaslin, R. (1981). Substantive specializations in masters level social work curricula. Journal of Education for Social Work, 23, (2), 5-18.
McCaslin, R. (1981). Next steps in information and referral for the elderly. The Gerontologist, 21, (2), 184-193.
McCaslin, R. & Golant, S.M. (1979). A social indicator model of the elderly population's social welfare environment. In S.M. Golant (ed.), Location and environment of elderly population. New York: V.H. Winston & Sons, distributed by Halsted Press, division of John Wiley & Sons.
Golant, S.M. & McCaslin, R. (1979). A functional classification of services for older persons. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 1, (3), 187-209.
Gaitz, C.M., Calvert, W.R. & McCaslin, R. (1977). Information and referral: Components of comprehensive care. In C. Eisdorfer & R. 0. Friedel (eds.), Cognitive and emotional disturbances in the elderly: Clinical issues. Chicago: Medical Year Book Publishers.
Calvert, W.R. & McCaslin, R. (1975). Social indicators in black and white: Some ethnic consideration in delivery of services to the elderly. Journal of Gerontology, 30, (1), 60-66.
- "Developing Web-Based Teaching Materials to Enhance M.S.W. Education". Department Based Advancement of Teaching Grant funded by CSUSB Teaching Resource Center.
- "Using the Web to Improve M.S.W. Research Projects". Instructional Development Grant funded by CSUSB Teaching Resource Center.
- "Aging and Adult Network Pre-Launch Project". Sabbatical funded by San Bernardino County Department of Aging and Adult Services.
- "Geriatric Enrichment in Social Work Education". Funded by the Hartford Foundation/CSWE.
Affiliations, Associations, Consultations
- National Association of Social Workers (Alternate Director, Region F, Delegate Assembly Member))
- Council on Social Work Education
- Academy of Certified Social Workers
- Gerontological Society of America (Fellow)
- Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGE-SW)
- San Bernardino County Senior Affairs Commission
- California Geriatric Education Center, Statewide Advisory Committee