ADMISSION INTO THE FALL 2017, FULL TIME, 2-YEAR, ON-CAMPUS MSW PROGRAM MODEL IS CLOSED AS OF 4/14/2017. HOWEVER, OPENINGS REMAIN AVAILABLE IN OUR 3-YEAR, PART-TIME, ON-CAMPUS PROGRAM MODEL AND 3-YEAR, ONLINE, PATHWAY DISTANCE EDUCTION PROGRAM MODEL, AND WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR ADMISSION INTO THOSE COHORTS.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University.
- A 3.0 or higher GPA in your last 90 quarter units or 60 semester units. A GPA of 2.8 or higher may be considered with excellent work experience and over all application. (GPA Calculator)
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience either volunteer, internship, or paid in the Social Work field.
- Meet the admission prerequisites for Human Biological Systems, Social Research Methods, and Human Development/Socialization. Please click on the following hyperlink to download the Admission Requirements (PDF). Please fill out the MSW Prerequisite Course Sheet by examining your own transcripts to make an initial determination as to whether or not these prerequisites have been met. Candidates may be conditionally admitted into the MSW program if they have not met all the prerequisites. However, all prerequisites must be completed before Fall Quarter classes begin in September.
Information sessions are intended to answer questions regarding the application process and to provide an overview of the Master of Social Work Program. Opportunities for one-on-one consultations are very limited. The best way to hear about the program and the admissions process is to attend one of these meetings. Faculty will be available for a short time at the conclusion of these sessions to address individual concerns. Those interested in applying for the MSW program are strongly encouraged to attend one of these information sessions, but attendance is not a requirement for admission. There is no registration required to attend one of these meetings. More information about the profession of Social Work will be presented, and tips will be given on how to submit a strong application at these sessions. Application packets will be available at the sessions for a fee of $10. Only cash, check, or money orders are accepted as payment for the $10 fee.
|Monday, Oct. 3, 2016||5:00–6:00 PM||Rogers Gateway Building, RG 307||Palm Desert|
|Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016||6:00-8:00 PM||Lower Commons, Panorama Room||San Bernardino|
|Monday, Nov. 7, 2016||5:00-6:00 PM||Rogers Gateway Building, RG 307||Palm Desert|
|Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016||6:00-8:00 PM||Lower Commons, Panorama Room||San Bernardino|
|Monday, Dec. 5, 2016||5:00–6:00 PM||Rogers Gateway Building, RG 307||Palm Desert|
|Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016||6:00-8:00 PM||Lower Commons, Panorama Room||San Bernardino|
|Monday, Jan. 9, 2017||5:00–6:00 PM||Rogers Gateway Building, RG 209||Palm Desert|
The Information sessions held at the Palm Desert Campus are focused on the Pathway Distance Education (on-line) MSW program. If you are unable to attend sessions held at the Palm Desert Campus then the sessions held at the San Bernardino campus also cover information regarding the Pathway Distance Education Program.
Maps & Parking:
Please refer to the CSUSB Parking & Transportation Services website for parking information.
CSUSB Main Campus Map (parking lot D is closest to the Commons)
CSUSB Palm Desert Campus Map (parking lot A is closest to the Rogers Gateway Building)
MSW Application Packet
All new MSW students begin the program in the Fall Quarter of each academic year. Applications for admission are available beginning in August of the year preceding the academic year you are to enroll in the program. The "priority deadline" for submitting an application is the last Friday in January, but applications may still be accepted after that date if openings in the program are still available. All applications submitted by the deadline will have priority in consideration for admission into the program over those submitted after the deadline. Please note that all MSW application materials should be completed and if submitting by mail, postmarked by midnight on January 27, 2017 or submitted in person by 5:00 PM on January 27, 2017 in order to be assured review for admission into the MSW program.
How to Obtain an Application Packet
- Visit the School of Social Work Office in the Social & Behavioral Sciences Building, Room SB 423.
- An Application packet may be purchased in the office for a $10 fee which is payable by cash, check or money order ONLY.
- Request an application by mail. You may submit a mail request starting in August of the year preceding the academic year you are to begin taking classes.
- Download and complete Request for Application Packet and mail it to the School of Social Work office along with a $10 check or money order. Requests for packets submitted before August will not be accepted.
Applications may be submitted between August and January. Please note that completed applications should be postmarked or submitted in person by the last Friday of January in order to meet the "priority deadline."
Process and Timeline
- Purchase an MSW Application Packet from the Social Work Office. MSW Application Packets are available starting the first week of August.
- Apply to CSUSB as a graduate student online (a separate required application) starting on October 1st.
- Attend an on-campus information session. See schedule above.
- Deadline for submitting all MSW Application Packet documents and the University application for assured consideration of admission into the MSW Program is by 5:00 PM on January 27, 2017.
- Submit transcripts for all colleges and universities that you attended to both the University’s Office of Graduate Studies and the School of Social Work. If you are currently enrolled at CSUSB or are a graduate of CSUSB then you do not need to send transcripts to Graduate Studies.
- Review process begins in February.
- Admissions decisions are made from April through June.
If you have questions, please contact Andrew Copeland in the School of Social Work office, at (909) 537-5501 or send an email to email@example.com.